You’ve just gotten engaged and you are looking for a photographer. Maybe you know exactly what you’re looking for when it comes to your wedding pictures, or maybe you aren’t quite sure where to start.
Either way, there’s a number of reasons to consider hiring a photographer who offers a 2nd shooter with his or her wedding packages. What is a “2nd shooter” you ask?
A 2nd shooter is an additional photographer that is available throughout your wedding day to not only assist the lead photographer, but also to be in the places that he or she can not. Here is a list of the benefits of having a 2nd shooter:
- More photos! The 2nd shooter is able to focus on some of the smaller details of your wedding and receptions as well as capturing cocktail hour mingling while the lead photographer is working with you, your family and your wedding party.
- They are an extra set of hands for the photographer. As a photographer, if I need a different lens, another camera body or even water or a snack, the 2nd photographer will grab what I need so I don’t have to stop what I’m doing.
- Different angles and perspectives. The lead photographer is very much on a schedule, working hard to get the images that the bride and groom are looking for. A second pair of eyes will often see alternative locations, directions or backgrounds that will enhance your photos.
- Two places at once. Many couples choose to have images captured while they get ready for the ceremony. Typically, the main photographer is with the bride and her bridesmaids and the 2nd shooter can be with the guys while they get ready. Likewise, the 2nd shooter can be capturing your guests at the cocktail hour, while the lead photographer is getting formal portraits of the wedding party and families.
- A little backup. Let’s face it, there is a LOT going on throughout the wedding day and for one person to capture every little thing is tough. Having a 2nd photographer gives a little insurance that nothing will be missed!