10 Things You Should Ask Your Wedding Venue
You’ve gotten engaged (Congratulations!) and you’re contemplating venues, but haven’t quite decided. There are some important questions you should ask any potential venue so that there are no surprises on your wedding day, well no bad surprises at least!
Here’s a list of 10 things to discuss with the manager or event planner at your venue:
1) How many people can you accommodate? This will be important to know BEFORE you send out your invites, or even your save-the-dates. Find out how many people fit comfortably as well as the max and minimum number of guest you can accommodate.
2) What is/isn’t included in the rental fee? You want to be sure there are no hidden costs. Read any contracts thoroughly before signing and don’t be afraid to ask this question directly. Do you need to provide your own tables and chairs? Hire a caterer? Rent linens, plates, decor, etc.?
3) How long/How many hours can we rent the venue for? Do your family and friends like to party? Find out how strict are the venue is about lingering guests and whether their end time is set in stone. Knowing this information will also help you plan out your day as far as when the ideal time for a ceremony will be.
4) When is the payment due? Is there a deposit and final payment required or just one lump sum? If so, find out when they are due and also in the unlikely case of a cancellation, what is their refund policy?
5) Do you have liability insurance? This is extremely important for any event involving people of all ages, dancing, alcohol etc. It is NOT recommended to rent a venue if they don’t have liability insurance but if for some reason they don’t, you should look into getting it just to be on the safe side.
6) Does the venue provide food, alcohol, cake etc.? If they do, find out the costs and/or if it’s included in the initial fee. If not, discuss the option of hiring your own caterer, baker, bartending service, etc.
7) Does the venue provide all necessary tables, chairs, linens, dinnerware, silver etc.? Similar to #6 and #2, find out the costs and whether you should we rent these yourself. It’s good to check out their options before booking as well to make sure they fit well with the aesthetic of your other decor.
8) Can we decorate and if so, when are we allowed to do this? If you have a color theme, or family mementos you want included, check with the venue first to make sure they allow this.
9) Is there a dance floor? If you want to get your party on, a dance floor is crucial! Make sure the dance floor has enough room for the amount of quests you can expect to be out there and if you are having a band they take up a little more room than a DJ so keep that in mind.
10) Can we hire a DJ or Band to play at the venue? Along with #9, this is important for the entertainment minded wedding couple! Some venues may have a preferred vendor list they require you to stick to. This is very important to know, especially if you already have some in mind.